Monday, September 8, 2014

Spinach Calzones

Danella’s Spinach Calzone 
Makes 6-8 Calzones

Dough
Dissolve in a large mixing bowl:
         2½    tsp. dry yeast
         ½      cup warm water
Add and mix together:
         ½      cup milk- scalded and cooled or evaporated milk
         ¼      cup sugar
         1       tsp. salt
         ¼      cup oil
         1       beaten egg
Add and knead until smooth:
      1-1¼   cups unbleached flour
      1-1¼   cups whole wheat flour 
                      or ~1 cup whole wheat groats, ground  *





Let rise until double, then kneed. I do this twice. While it is raising the second time I make the spinach filling.



Divide dough into 6-8 pieces. ( I do this by dividing the dough in half, then each of those I divide in half, and then those in to halves again. That way they are all pretty even in size.)


Press the dough flat like a pizza. I do this on the greased pan that I will bake them on. I oil my hands before I touch the bread. 

Put filling on ½ side of dough and pinch sides together.




Let rise until doubled.

Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown.

*I like to grind my own grain just before I use it. I use my VitaMix blender with the dry blade mixer top to do this, but any whole wheat flour from the grocery store works just fine too. 




Filling
In a large bowl mix together until creamy:
         1       large (32 oz.) rocotta cheese -Precious
  1½- 2      tsp. Lots of salt to taste - about
         ¼      tsp. thyme
         2       garlic cloves, minced
        ½      onions, chopped -optional
         2       pkg. frozen spinach - thawed and squeezed dry
         1       cup mozzarella, grated





When done baking-


  Top with warm Marinara Sauce and serve immediately, or store wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment